Glasscrete® is a breathable lime floor system using GEOCELL Foam Glass aggregate as its insulating base.
Foam glass is a lightweight, non-capillary aggregate made from 100% recycled glass. It is a viable alternative to expanded clay aggregate used in original Limecrete floors, but is capable of being used as a load bearing hardcore. It also offers approximately 20% improved insulation performance over clay aggregate (0.08 W/mK) so needs less depth for a similar thermal performance.
Foam glass aggregate (or gravel) is versatile because of its unique light weight, load bearing, draining and insulating properties providing a sustainable replacement for conventional building materials.
- Levelled and compacted ground.
- Layer of geotextile membrane.
- 150 mm-450 mm compacted GEOCELL foam glass.
- Layer of geotextile membrane.
- U/F heating pipes attached to grid.
- 100 mm lime screed/slab: 2 parts aggregate 1 part NHL5 (by volume) with 30 mm Cork Board to external perimeter walls. Fibratec V12 Concrete Fibres for additional reinforcement (optional).
- 25 mm-50 mm bedding mortar, 2 parts aggregate to 1 part NHL5 (if laying flagstone, tile floor finish). Grout with same mix (changing sand grade and colour if required).
- The use of GEOCELL in the capillary fringe of ground water or water source areas is not recommended. Install drainage system/capillary moisture barrier if required.
- For design thicknesses greater than 300 mm, placing and compaction should be undertaken in 2 or 3 separate layers.
|Mike Wye Glasscrete® is an LABC registered floor systems.
LABC represents all local authority building control teams in England and Wales. Members work cooperatively with building owners, home owners, architects, plan drawers, developers building contractors and other professionals to ensure buildings are safe, healthy and efficient to meet the standards set by the building regulations.
DESIGN & QUOTE SERVICE
It can be complicated calculating volumes and insulation U-values. Just tell us what you need and we will work it out.
We will calculate all the design information you need for your floor, thicknesses, insulation values etc using our accredited design programme. As well as providing quotations, including delivery, for all the components as well.
Foam Glass Aggregate – click here for prices
GEOCELL Foam Glass aggregate has grain sizes ranging from 10 mm to 60 mm (10 mm to 30 mm is available where depth restrictions demand it).
Foam Glass needs to be compacted with whacker plate if being used as flooring or foundations. You should allow up to 30% extra volume when calculating for a compacted application.
Geotextile Membrane – click here for prices
Use vapour permeable, geotextile membrane as a separating layer in limecrete floor.
Supplied as a 4.5 m x 50 m roll for large projects or sold by the linear metre for the majority of domestic floors.
Cork Board Insulation – click here for prices
Use 30 mm Cork Board for perimeter insulation along the external walls in the screed layer.
Natural Hydraulic Lime – click here for prices
Secil NHLs have been available since 1891 and have made a huge contribution to the construction market in Portugal. Secil and Mike Wye & Associates have joined forces to provide Portuguese natural hydraulic limes to the UK.
We believe these will offer an excellent and cost effective option for those wanting to use powdered hydraulic limes in their work.
Secil NHL5 is fast setting and ideal for limecrete floors when used with a suitable aggregate.